Favorite Posts

Friday, April 30, 2010

handmade postcards for a swap

For the butterfly postcard I cut an old shirt gift box to 4x6 and lightly sanded the shiny side to give it some tooth. I then laid down some papers on it with soft gel medium and toned them down with some white gesso. I dabbed on different colors of acrylic paints with a makeup sponge until I got an effect I liked and then toned it down with a little gesso. I dripped on some pearlescent liquid acrylic and ran the empty dropper back and forth and up and down. I laid a piece of paper towel down, lightly pressed, and lifted to give a nice texture in the liquid acrylic. I waited until it was dry so that I wouldn't loose the texture before putting a butterfly cutout down and sponging on some dark blue acrylic paint over and around it. I let it dry overnight and then detailed the butterfly with a Signo silver pen. The autumn postcard is made pretty much the same way just leaving out the pearlescent liquid acrylic. I really need to get some more colors of that stuff because I love the sun-up blue that I have.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! You visualized the whole thing before setting out to do the multistep process!!

    ReplyDelete