Favorite Posts

Monday, December 8, 2008

no time, cookies, and milk free

This adorable little girl takes up all of my time. I haven't showered since Friday, made any Christmas cards, shaved in well over a week, clipped my toenails, cleaned my craft room, or cleaned my bedroom, and I'm sleep deprived. The only reason I'm able to update this blog is thanks to a boppy pillow (I'm breastfeeding as I type). I have learned I can do lots of things with only one hand. I have been wanting to make some oatmeal cookies for a week. Today I strapped her to my chest using the moby sling and was able to finally bake some cookies. They are oatmeal, cranraisin, hazelnut. They would have been better if I used walnuts but I had some hazelnuts in the freezer already. They are still pretty tasty. I used the recipe off the back of the box from "Mothers Rolled Oats".1 cup honey
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg or 2 egg whites
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
2-1/2 cups Rolled Oats, uncooked
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates (optional)

1. Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease cookie sheet.
2. Beat honey, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add egg: mix until well blended.
3. In large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in oats, nuts and raisins; mix well.
4. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 9 to 11 minutes. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack and cool completely.

Charlotte has acid reflux and vomits a lot. She had a upper gi on Wednesday to make sure her stomach valve was closing. Everything looks good (which was great news)...she is just a puker. Richie and I have been calling her Miss Pukahontas. I went on a dairy-free diet the day after Thanksgiving and hopefully it will help. Richie and I both were allergic to milk protein formulas as babies so the doctor thinks it's worth a try. Maybe the dairy in my diet is causing or making the reflux worse. I have noticed a little improvement lately but it can take 2 to 4 weeks to totally get out of my system. Her doctor told me usually you can just cut out the milk, cheese, yogurt and still be fine but I cut out all milk protein just to be safe. I figure if it helps I can then later try adding back in butter and foods with casein or whey and see. It isn't an easy thing to do...milk or milk protein is in everything!!! Plus we are cheese lovers. Lunch meat can have casein or whey but luckily publix brand deli chicken didn't have either of these so I have been able to make some quick sandwiches. I couldn't use the breadcrumb at the store because all of them contained milk in some form. I'm also supposed to limit the soy so I'm trying to only have soy in the butter substitutes. If anyone has some recipes for beef, pork, milk, and soy free dinners please email them to me. I really need some ideas.

2 comments: